How to Design a Self-hosted WordPress Blog in 30 Minutes
2 February, 2013
Going by definition, a blog is a space on the Internet where an individual or a group of individuals record their opinions or information. A blog is also referred to as a web log that is published on the World Wide Web. Various platforms like WordPress help users design and publish blogs within minutes. Read on to know how to design a self-hosted WordPress blog in just half an hour.
What is a self-hosted WordPress blog?
A self-hosted blog is the one that gives the blog owner complete control of the blog code. This gives the blog developer the freedom to implement a theme, modify the same or create a completely new theme. Furthermore, plug-ins can also be added to a self-hosted WordPress blog. The application code of a self-hosted blog is also completely open. This allows the blog developer to access, modify and make changes to the WordPress blog with great ease.
Designing a self-hosted WordPress blog in 30 minutes
The first step involved in designing a self-hosted WordPress blog is to download and install this open source blogging and Content Management System (CMS). What you will need is a web host that has MySQL and PHP included. In order to make the installation process of WordPress simple and hassle-free ensure that the web host you are using has cPanel. One of the web hosts that you can use is BlueHost. Follow the simple steps to install WordPress on a Web host
- First you need to sign up for a web host plan. Example BlueHost.
- Go to http://yourdomain.com/cpanel and log in to the cPanel.
- Next you need to click the Simple Scripts or the Fantastico feature.
- You will come across the auto-installation option. Select this option.
- Your WordPress blog will be installed.
In case you do not come across the auto-install option, you can manually install the WordPress blog.
Manually installing a WordPress blog
About 9 out of 10 times you will come across the auto-installation option to install your WordPress blog. However, in case you do not find this option, you can manually install your WordPress blog by following these simple steps.
- First you need to download and unzip the WordPress package.
- On your web server, you need to create a WordPress database.
- The wp-config-sample.php file needs to be renamed to wp-config.php
- In a text editor open wp-config.php
- Enter your database details. Your user name and password will be generated.
- In the required location of your web server you need to upload the WordPress files.
- Access the wp-admin/install.php and run the WordPress installation script in a web browser.
- If WordPress is installed in the root directory you need to visit http://example.com/wp-admin/install.php
- However, if WordPress is installed in its very own subdirectory you must visit http://example.com/blog/wp-admin/install.php.
These steps will help you install WordPress manually.
If you need more information about designing or modifying a self-hosted WordPress blog, you can visit the http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Quick_Start_Guide .
This is a guest post by Sofia Fern. She is a guest writer from cox.wedocable.com , a site that offers information about digital cable and high speed internet.